At Warragul Primary School your child will learn with purpose. We offer learning with intention, a success criteria and emotional engagement for all students. Children learn best when they are happy, challenged, interested and engaged, incorporating these considerations within each of our classrooms we develop fun ways for your children to learn and focus on growing the individuals mind.
We offer a fantastic range of specialist classes including visual arts as well as physical and sport education. We know your child will love learning at Warragul Primary School.
Our Language Education Program at Warragul Primary School aims to develop well rounded students and provide a solid introduction into language skills. While children’s brains are still growing and developing it is the most essential time to teach them new languages and the skills required to read, write and speak Chinese (Mandarin).
Did you know?
- Mandarin is the most widely spoken language worldwide.
- China is one of the world’s oldest and richest continuous cultures, over 5000 years old.
- China is the most populous nation in the world, with approximately 1.4 billion people.
- One fifth of the planet speaks Chinese. Mandarin Chinese is the mother tongue of over 873 million people, making it the most widely spoken first language in the world.
- International businesses prefer to hire people who speak more than one language. China has become a huge market, and business leaders are looking for people who can speak Chinese and operate successfully in a Chinese cultural context.
- In addition to the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan, Mandarin Chinese is also spoken in the important and influential Chinese communities of Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, the Philippines, and Mongolia.
- China is the second largest economy in the world.
Your child will be immersed in a variety of art forms from Prep through to Year 6, learning skills, techniques and processes to express themselves and their creativity, through these artworks.
Using varied materials and techniques, students learn to describe the subject matter and ideas in Art.
We focus on the seven elements of art being line, shape, form, colour, value, texture and space and classes work to create collaborative and individual pieces. Students have great fun cutting, sticking, painting, printing, drawing, weaving, designing and making sculptures to name a few.
Our art appreciation reflects the cultural diversity of all our students and we encourage them to explore and respond to their own art and the artwork of others.
We study and explore art from all over the world and that of famous artists and incorporate these styles and techniques to inspire our student artworks. We encourage students to “have a go” and do their best, highlighting and displaying art work displays around the school to boost their confidence and creativity. This plays a vital role in art making with all students having their artwork displayed.
PASE – Physical And Sports Education
In these classes your child will focus on skill development, fitness, fair play and enjoyment.
We teach our students a range of basic motor skills and movement patterns, with or without equipment, in a range of environments. They will learn skills such as running, jumping, skipping, catching, throwing, kicking, balancing, springing and are introduced to more complex skills such as leaping, dodging, overarm throwing, dribbling, bouncing and striking. Your child also has the ability to participate in our Swimming Program, Athletics Sports and the Sporting Schools Programs.
Year 3-6 students continue to develop motor skills and apply these to sport specific situations. The students explore basic game tactics such as; introducing the concepts of attack and defense, following the rules of the game, and describing the roles of various positions. They begin to work with others to set and achieve goals in both cooperative and competitive game settings.
Every year all students have the opportunity to attend our swimming program. Throughout the year students also participate in our Athletics Carnival, Sporting Schools sessions, Sports Clinics, Cross Country and Hoop Time Basketball.
Year 5 and 6 students take part in Winter Sports and have the opportunity to participate in the T20 Blast Cricket Cup as well as coaching roles.
In addition to these classes all students participate in extracurricular activities.